I love a good deal!


Before we left Az we had a bit of an issue about what we'd put our Tv on once we got to grand forks cince we had a built in tv stand before. I wanted to try and find something at goodwill or D.I but CJ was totally against it. He said "you know as soon as we get to Grand Forks your going to go to some antique store and buy one anyway." my reaction was "Really? I can?" We both had a good laugh about that, because I knew that once we got there we'd be nearly broke and I didn't imagine buying anything. As it turns out, we did go to some garage sells and thrift stores and almost left empty handed but then CJ jokingly says as we are about to drive off "good thing you didn't see that garage full of furniture over there!" Well that did it, I made him park the car and we went inside to check it out. Low and behold it was CJ who found this vintage radio/ record player from Germany. $15 and Sold! He had actually been looking at these online and found one on craiglist for $150. It has all the original parts and everything works, it has the radio up top, which i should have taken a picture of and a compartment below where we store our VCR. Its pretty sweet.
Next item of business are my suitcases that I found garage selling the one to the left holds an old Singer Sewing Machine that belonged to my grandma that I've yet to break out. The other three costs $3.50 altogether. I use them to store our movies. The green one holds all our Disney video so Piper is constantly lifting the old make up case off the top and rummaging through her videos. And the old make up case I've always wanted one. Its pretty beat up but for 35 cents who could pass it up. Not me.
Now for this last post I know what my family is thinking.. really Lisa, another dresser. Well this was FREE!!! I just about died and had that bad boy loaded up in a few seconds. I wasn't going to let this precious find slip away. I think its the perfect touch for our entry way. And the cute lace runner came with it. I'm having fun making our apartment feel like home. P.S in this picture you can see our sad excuse for an air conditioner. It is in our long walkway and so it doesn't do much for the rest of our apartment. We've had a few really hot days and our place gets pretty miserable. Luckily we did get a few portable fans to give us some relief. I guess since the winters are so long here they think ceiling fans and air conditioning aren't necessary but I beg to differ.

We love it here. We've made some friends Alicia and Chris.. Chris is in law school with CJ and they have an 8 month old baby eve. So Alicia and I went garage selling today and then went and walked downtown and went to the farmers market and to a place called Amazing Grains. It reminded me of Sprouts except smaller. They sell local fresh meat and produce too. Piper walked right over to the fruit leather and picked a few out, handed one to baby eve and grabbed another for herself. We paid for it and she munched on her treat and marched down the isles. I say march because if you've seen piper walk... its not really a walk. She swings her arms and tilts her head to the side and kinda skips/stomps around. Haha. Its pretty funny.
Anyways, thats whats new as of late. Miss you all!

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

I love this post! And I'm glad you made some friends - I knew it wouldn't be long! Keep these updates coming - we miss you guys like crazy.

M & S Eagar said...

I'm glad your making friends too. I keep thinking about you guys.

All the furniture in our house is from yard sales or was given to us or we found it for free on the curb or yes...pulled it out of a dumpster. The good ole student life really is an adventure.

angela hardison said...

i love the TV stand (of course i do). yay for thrifty finds. and making new friends.

jandbfillmore said...

YOU are an amazing shopper! Fantastic grabs. Sure wish we could see them in person. Someday can we come visit? I'd like that.